The Duke of Edinburgh will have a ceremonial funeral with bands and a military escort, but only 30 mourners are allowed to attend the service because of Coronavirus restrictions.
These are the guests expected to be at St George’s Chapel, Windsor for the service at 15:00 BST on Saturday, 17 April (Today).
Family and guests attending the funeral
- Queen Elizabeth IIThe Queen said Prince Philip had “quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years”.
- CharlesPrince of WalesPrince Charles said his father was a “much-loved and appreciated figure” and he and the Royal Family would miss him greatly.
- CamillaDuchess of CornwallCamilla married Prince Charles in April 2005, although they had been close friends since the 1970s.
- AnnePrincess RoyalPrincess Anne said her father was her “teacher, supporter and critic”.
- Timothy LaurenceVice AdmiralVice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence married the Princess Royal in 1992.
- AndrewDuke of YorkPrince Andrew said his father’s death was a terrible loss: “We’ve lost the grandfather of the nation.”
- EdwardEarl of WessexPrince Edward said his father had been “a great source of support and encouragement and guidance” all the way through his life.
- SophieCountess of WessexSophie Rhys-Jones became the Countess of Wessex after marrying Prince Edward in 1999.
- WilliamDuke of CambridgePrince William paid tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh, saying his “grandfather’s century of life was defined by service – to his country and Commonwealth, to his wife and Queen, and to our family”.
- CatherineDuchess of CambridgeKate Middleton became Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, after marrying Prince William in 2011.
- HarryDuke of SussexPrince Harry said his grandfather was “a man of service, honour and great humour” and the “legend of banter”.
- Peter PhillipsPeter Phillips is the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh’s eldest grandchild.
- Zara TindallZara Tindall is the Princess Royal’s daughter but, like her brother Peter Phillips, does not have a royal title, as they are descended from the female line.
- Mike TindallFormer England rugby player Mike Tindall joined the Royal Family when he married the Princess Royal’s daughter Zara in 2011.
- Princess Beatrice of YorkPrincess Beatrice is the elder daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah, Duchess of York.
- Edoardo Mapelli MozziEdoardo, an Italian property tycoon, married the duke’s granddaughter Princess Beatrice at The Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge, Windsor, in July 2020.
- Princess Eugenie of YorkPrincess Eugenie paid tribute to her grandfather on social media, saying how she remembered laughing at his jokes, and asking him about his “spectacular life and service in the navy”.
- Jack BrooksbankJack Brooksbank, who married Princess Eugenie in 2018, is a drinks executive for a tequila company.
- Lady LouiseLady Louise Windsor is the elder child of the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
- JamesViscount SevernViscount Severn is the younger child of the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
- EdwardDuke of KentEdward, Duke of Kent, is a first cousin of the Queen, through his father, while his mother was a cousin to Philip.
- RichardDuke of GloucesterPrince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, is the youngest grandchild of King George V and Queen Mary.
- Princess AlexandraLady OgilvyPrincess Alexandra is a cousin of the Queen and was one of the bridesmaids at her wedding to Prince Philip.
- BernhardHereditary Prince of BadenPrince Bernhard is Prince Philip’s great-nephew.
- DonatusLandgrave of HessePrince Donatus is representing the families of Prince Philip’s two younger sisters, Sophie and Cecilie, who both married into the Hesse family.
- PhilippPrince of Hohenlohe-LangenburgPrince Philipp is one of the Duke of Edinburgh’s great-nephews from Germany – he’s the grandson of the duke’s eldest sister, Princess Margarita.
- David Armstrong-JonesEarl of SnowdonThe Earl of Snowdon is the Queen’s nephew.
- Penelope KnatchbullCountess Mountbatten of BurmaLady Mountbatten joined the Royal Family when she married Norton Knatchbull, Lord Romsey.
- Lady Sarah ChattoLady Sarah Chatto is the Queen’s only niece.
- Daniel ChattoArtist and former actor Daniel Chatto is married to the Queen’s niece, Lady Sarah.
The procession to St George’s Chapel for the funeral service will be led by the band of the Grenadier Guards.
The band will be followed by the Major General’s party and military chiefs of staff, including the Chief of the Defence Staff General Sir Nicholas Carter, and First Sea Lord Admiral Tony Radakin.
Admiral Radakin paid tribute to the duke’s naval career, saying “He was one of us.”
Also in the procession behind the Land Rover will be Brigadier Archie Miller Bakewell, a personal protection officer, two pages and two valets.
Brigadier Bakewell was Prince Philip’s private secretary and right-hand man for more than a decade, having started working for the duke back in 2010.
The Dean of Windsor, David Conner, will conduct the funeral service and give the commendation as the coffin is lowered into the royal vault.
Others attending include a small choir of four singers. The choir, who will be in the nave of the chapel, will sing pieces of music chosen by the duke.
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, who married the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in the same chapel, will give the blessing.