President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of a new Inspector-General of Police to take over from Mohammed Adamu.
Maigari Dingyadi, Minister of Police Affairs disclosed the President’s directive on Tuesday afternoon, in Abuja.
Baba replaces Mohammed Abubakar Adamu whose tenure was recently extended till May 3rd 2021, after it expired.
Below are some important facts about the new IGP:
1. He is from Yobe State.
2. The new IGP was born in 1963.
3. He is an alumnus of Bayero University, Kano (1985), and the University of Maiduguri, UNIMAID (1997) and is married with children.
4. Baba joined the Nigerian Police Force in March 1988, rising through the ranks from ASP, and all through to the pinnacle as the newly appointed Inspector-General.
2. Usman Alkali Baba, psc (+), fdc holds a Masters in Public Administration (MPA) and a BA (ED) in Political Science.
3. He is a fellow of the National Defence College and a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
4. Before his latest appointment, Alkali was the DIG, Force Criminal Investigation Department, Force Headquarters.
5. He had previously served in top management positions within the force including; Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone-5 Benin, Zone-4 Makurdi, Zone-7 Abuja, Commissioner of Police FCT and Delta Commands amongst others.
6. On Tuesday, 6th April, 2021, Alkali was announced as the new Acting Inspector-General of Police to take over from IGP Mohammed Adamu.